The Sisters of St. Francis of Sylvania, Ohio, a religious congregation founded in 1916, and the sponsoring organization of The Sylvania Franciscan Village (comprised of the Sisters of St. Francis, Lourdes University, Franciscan Academy of Lourdes University, and Sylvania Franciscan Health) invite applicants for the position of Director of Facilities and Grounds. This is a full-time, exempt position.
Responsible to Sisters of St. Francis and its sponsored ministries for effective and efficient coordination of all services pertaining to facilities and grounds for the Sylvania Franciscan campus and off campus properties in the Sylvania area. Responsible for organizing, directing, and monitoring the effective and cost efficient activities of the department.
Provides leadership and oversight for facility and grounds maintenance, environmental services, landscaping supervisors, staff, and outside contractors. Ensures that supervisors carry out their responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies, procedures, and applicable laws. Responsibilities include the oversight of interviewing, selection, and orientation of new employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; ongoing training and development of employees; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Promotes the values of the Sisters of St. Francis and Lourdes University by demonstrating behaviors supportive of a commitment to reverence, service, and stewardship, including respect and involvement, teamwork, open and effective communication, and efficient and effective resource use. Adheres to Sisters of St. Francis policies, procedures, and objectives. Exhibits professional attitude in attire, work space, and interpersonal communications.
- Chairs the campus Facilities and Grounds Committee whose purpose is to review and determine Facilities department budget priorities, oversee capital project planning, and develop guidelines for the care and use of land and buildings.
- Participates in the Campus Master Planning Committee whose purpose is to set vision, strategic direction, and policy.
- Maintains a preventive maintenance program within the confines of an annual budget. This includes all heating, air conditioning, and maintenance and repair of buildings and equipment.
- Prepares an annual operating and capital budget for all facilities and grounds departments and is responsible for monthly budget performance.
- Recommends and negotiates utility rates and energy savings programs as appropriate.
- Arranges for contractual work through a competitive bidding process, coordinates and inspects such work to verify adherence to specifications.
- Maintains data base of all buildings, warranties, maintenance agreements, etc., as well as all "as built" drawings.
- Designs, coordinates, and promulgates safety, environmental, and emergency policies and procedures in accordance with ADA, OSHA standards, JCAHO regulations, and any local, state, or federal regulations.
- Coordinates hazardous waste disposal programs.
- Maintains up to date records for all state, federal, and insurance semi-annual and annual inspections.
- Responsible for management of the Sylvania Franciscan campus including all grounds, shrines, woodlands, buildings, and parking lots and off campus properties in the Sylvania area.
- Holiday work as required, 24 hour on call required.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitates communications among all personnel in the Facilities and Grounds Departments and fosters good working relationships with all employees and contractors. Meets regularly with department supervisors, staff, and contractors to foster communication, review schedules, and integrate resources wherever possible.
Qualification and Required Skills
- Minimum of bachelor's degree required.
- Minimum of 10 years experience in related field (five years in an Administrative position), involving supervision of maintenance personnel, structural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing systems, environmental services, etc. required.
- Experience in construction project management and oversight of contractors.
- Experience in the management of grounds and landscaping desired.
- Valid driver's license.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills which includes the ability to effectively communicate with a diverse management organization, department heads, employees, and outside contractors. Ability to work effectively with all levels of employees from executives to hourly personnel.
- Sensitivity to the mission of Sisters of St. Francis and its sponsored ministries.
- Ability to work within a matrixed organizational structure.
- Engineering, construction, or architectural background.
- Strong mechanical aptitudes and a working knowledge of electrical and mechanical systems as well as environmental services and ground maintenance.
- Familiar with local building codes, OSHA regulations, JCAHO regulations, fire safety.
- Involvement in construction: reviewing plans and specifications.
- Knowledge of and experience with computer applications and utilization of data bases for management control.
- Ability to plan, organize, and manage with enthusiastic leadership. Develop a team and build respect for them as team members.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Ability to assess present conditions and project future needs.
- Organizational skills that work well with changing priorities and or situations.
- Ability to define problems, and resolve them quickly.
To apply, send cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references (all in MS Word or pdf format only) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.